Bazargan law firm banner


The Exchange Visitor (J) non-immigrant visa category is for individuals approved to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. Participants are integral to the success of the program.

All applicants must meet eligibility criteria and be sponsored either by a private sector or government program.

Upon their expiration of J1 Visa and departure from the United States, many J-1 visa holders are required to complete a mandatory two-year home-country physical presence prior to re-entry into the United States under dual intent visas, such as H1-B

Different categories exist within the J-1 program, each defining the purpose or type of exchange. While most J-1 categories are explicitly named in the federal regulations governing the J-1 program, others have been inferred from the regulatory language.

Private sector programs:

·         Alien Physician

·         Au Pair and EduCare

·         Summer camp

·         Intern

·         Student, Secondary School

·         Work/Travel

·         Teacher

·         Trainee

·         Flight Training (J-1 privileges terminated effective June 1, 2010)

Government and academic programs:

·         Government Visitor

·         International Visitor

·         Professor and Research Scholar

·         Short-Term Scholar

·         Specialist

·         Student, College/University

Last modified on: Mon, 2014-03-31 08:20